Saturday, May 2, 2009

my dad the self-described pet hater...

...brought a stray puppy (dog?) in off the porch today... as in, walked into the house hugging the shaking, now happy dog (in out of the thunderstorm) and announced, with a goofy, sheepish grin, "look what I found!"

Is this my father?

When I was little we had pets that were contained: birds in cages, fishes in tanks, hermit crabs in netting, hamsters in whatever hamsters live in. Then, when my (slightly asthmatic) brother left for college, we took in a few stray cats, as they came. My dad always complains about then, and they always go straight for his lap (or hand, whichever is more accessible). And he's been saying for years that he doesn't want and can't afford the two cats we have, let alone a dog.

Here's the little cutie-pie that was a-trembling at our door today, and is now scampering around my dad as he putters in the yard:














My dad's already uneasy over having befriended the fellow, and is now feeling quite responsible for him... So if you happen to live nearby and are looking for a friendly, quiet little dog, we'd be happy to share the joy.

3 comments:

Anna McClurg said...

aww! what a sweetheart. i hope he finds a good home. your dad sounds like my dad, only he'd never in a million years let an animal in the house. when we have cats, they're strictly outside cats. ah, well. maybe someday i'll have my own kitty with hair everywhere. :)

Niki said...

My dad always complained about my cat, then one night I "caught" him working at his desk with the cat curled up on his lap, purring contentedly. Of course, he's also the one who handily disposed of some evil hamsters that we had. . .

Any name for your foster pup?

Elisabeth said...

Funny! I like your blog!