Tuesday, January 13, 2009

and here it is, January already

Here's a letter I recently sent out, to bring things up to date on this my neglected blog:

I love this time of year, when trees are bare of leaves – revealing the skeleton of trunk, nodules, limbs, branches, twigs, and dormant buds; waiting, expectant, preparing – and wind is brisk, hurling blankets of clouds south after the birds. When not gazing out the window at clouds, I keep busy pitching in around the house and at church, going to work (part-time), and doing my work (fuller-time). Or studying up on German and Germany. I sat in on a modern Germany class last semester, and have been making my way through an engaging tome of the history of Berlin, as well as some plays and novels.

For Thanksgiving I gutted two turkeys, baked multiple pies, and ate bountiful vegetables (the turkey's mainly for looks, right?). December and Christmas brought lots of time with family, near and distant, including the annual Wentling family reunion in Pennsylvania, with 93 of us showing up this year. The break from routine allowed for game playing, discussions, nephew time, lots of tea and coffee drinking, long hours in the car, good visits with dear friends, and reflection. Why the annual gatherings, feasting, candlelight, decorations, and gifts? Partly because they're great fun, and truly as the glimmers of something much greater – our imitations and celebrations of God's making good on his promises to bring us from darkness into the light:

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ... In him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness,and the darkness does not comprehend it.... but as many as receive him, to them he gave the right to become children of God... And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us... For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. ... For God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through him.” (from John 1 and 3)

What a joy to not only receive life and light, but to share the truth of his grace with the world! As I forge on in preparation, share with people about Berlin and the work I'll be doing there, and invite them to join me, I continually need focus, boldness, and confidence in God's leading and provision. And he strengthens me for each step: I've received 70% of my one time costs and pledges for 35% of my ongoing support, and am so grateful for what's been given. Thanks for all you've given so far: money, support, advice, encouragement, and prayers, and for staying alongside me as I anticipate full funding and departure.

with joy, Larissa


please pray with me: for complete funding -- for the work and the people God's preparing (including me!) -- for confidence in his faithfulness and timing

and the rest of the team in southeast Berlin --for relationships formed and fostered through Thanksgiving (for the English class) and Christmas celebrations

No comments: